Labels

Monday, June 3, 2013

the galley

THIS.

West Galley

Northeast Galley

Northwest Galley
Took two years and three months to achieve and still isn't finished. Note the south/sink is unpictured, but that's a whole 'nother story. I love the stories of this Portage! I like the beginnings and the endings and the middles. The ending are so especially meaningful after what came before them, though. Like the floor discovery a month after we moved in:

'neath leveler, plywood, and three layers of laminate lies shining hardwood like buried treasure
open
shut
Then there is the story of What To Do About Awkward Corners where the ancient brown refrigerator full of mold used to block the teeny tiny up high windows (see West Galley photo above). We tried a cupboard, but we needed a place for Kaya's kennel, so a card table covered her bed until the glorious day - last Saturday - that Brett built a counter to my exact specifications!


I have been waiting so long to write this post, and even though there is trim that still needs painting, floors refinishing, and the fridge (why does refrigerator not have a D but fridge does? why?! why?! why?!!) still seems far too big and bulky and always half empty besides, I am positively smitten with my little hub of homemaking.

Look how close I've come to my inspiration! Look what I want to turn the south/sink corner into! Look what you should get me for all the rest of the birthdays of my life!

People have been asking if we have any big summer projects, and I would totally love to get a functional garage door or sliding glass doors for the north porch transformation dream, but ya know what? I have a pretty kitchen galley, so I don't care about those other things. At least for today.


2 comments:

Mom of Two said...

That is so awesome that there was hardwood floors underneath there. What a treasure!

Katri said...

I love the transformation! Your kitchen radiates joy! And that corner counter...awesome!