Labels

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Little House on the Prairie


I just finished playing Loaded Questions with my husband and parents-in-law. One of my favorite questions was What book has changed your life? [besides the bible] Other good questions included What is your favorite thing to do with snow? and What is you favorite movie line? The movie line was a reversal on Brett, so we all had to guess what his favorite lines were and Andrea put "This is my deal." Brian put "If I could walk that way, I wouldn't need any aftershave now would I?" I guessed "Ace of spades." Then we all just started quoting The Princess Bride randomly. Brett cracked up, because we all really did guess his top favorites.

Back on track. I can think of four books besides the bible that have had a profound impact in my life: The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books, Dinotopia, and Lord of the Rings. There are so many more, but these I return to constantly, and I could read them over and over and over again. They are almost like the four walls of my literary soul.

I am still looking for a finite thesis for this blog. Should I muse over theology and literature and art? Should I relate the smallest simplest moments of my day? Should I be passionate or let my words be select and few? I may well babble and then delete it the next day. I wish I would only write profound things, but I know that will not be so. I hope I can stumble across something worth scribbling about once in a while. I'd like to provoke you.

This week I have felt much, mostly good things. Today it rained and I made jam and ate waffles. Yesterday I drove on a gravel road and picked strawberries and planted a little garden - and Brett interview for a better job, then was offered the job, then accepted it! I am amazed at how God provides for the least of these. I was looking for a toddler bed for a specific price and Katri found exactly what I had hoped for, and I mentioned buying canning jars for making jam and Brenda had a box waiting for me. These details convince me that I am right where I should be, and that makes me so happy. Maybe we had two hard years so that we would appreciate this good time, and maybe it was so that we would learn from our mistakes, and a hundred other reasons. I will rejoice and be glad, for this is the day that the Lord has made.

1 comment:

soblessed2be said...

PRAISE the Lord about the job for Brett! I'm so happy for you both. From your description of the life there, I WANNA GET ON A FAST TRACK TO MOVE! :) LOL...side note-I've been wanting to get on that track for some time now (i think you knew that!). I'm THRILLED that you are blogging again so we can keep up with your wonderful life! I love you, and miss you dearly! There is a beautiful thing about seeing you again...we have citizenship in Heaven to look forward to together, for ETERNITY! :)