Labels

Monday, January 31, 2011

wings, fields, bones


Today is the last day of January and the snow is pouring down again. I've had a fairly productive day, one that allows me to relax and let grace sink in this evening, in the company of family.
Waiting de-motivates me. All my effort concentrates on endurance. Do the next thing. And the next, and then the next. So, I haven't had anything worthwhile to write, and I absolutely don't want this blog to be mere catharsis.

Events have transpired: I got to paint my in-laws' kitchen finally! My sister visited and together we met up with dear old friends. Brett's work has been suspended until the company gets a bid, which means we have gotten to spend much time together and pay bills out of our savings for a little while. In the past five months we were denied by five lenders and the sixth approved us so we were able to make an offer on a house this last week, just when I was about to start apartment-hunting. A gift we are making led us to explore several local antique shops which are tantalizingly quaint, and to our happy amazement we have acquired an authentic ship's helm.

I think a snowy field is one of the most restful, potent sights in the world - not barren at all. With all due respect to poet Langston Hughes, I offer this modified sentiment as an expression of what it looks like to give our dreams over to the Author of life.

surrender dreams
for when dreams end
life is a broken-winged bird
that God will mend

relinquish dreams
for if dreams fail
life is a barren field
Spring shall unveil

The truth is, I need God to crush my dreams. I know this might sound harsh. But if I build my house upon the sand it will be washed away. This capacity to dream such vivid dreams is surely meant for more than my benefit alone. I may not want refinement, but I need it.

Make me to hear joy and gladness, let the bones which Thou hast broken rejoice. Psalm 51:8

2 comments:

soblessed2be said...

I love you~ XO.... praying that the Lord will direct your hearts desires :).

aboveallshadows said...

Thank you Kiley, my dear sister. I know He will both answer and direct, and my mind believes that His grace is sufficient, even if my heart and flesh collapse in despair. Even in the valley of the shadow He is with me. Though I stumble He will not let me fall. He is faithful, even when I am faithless. As long as I meditate on these, the devil has no foothold!