Labels

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

the tablet of my heart

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5&6

My own understanding is so flawed. I usually don't see the flaws, but they exist. When I lean on my own understanding I get angry, impatient, jealous, and bitter. But verse 7 reiterates:

Do not be wise in your own eyes,
Fear the Lord and turn from evil.
It will be healing to your body,
And refreshment to your bones.

Today, I can choose to lean on my own understanding, which leads me to a place that seems very bleak and hopeless, is full of heartache and contention, and perpetual dissatisfaction.

Or, I can turn from those evil thoughts, acknowledging God's presence even in the actions of others, the circumstances I cannot change, the possibility of future anguish, and the consequences of past wrongs, and He will make my paths straight. My bones will be refreshed.

Refreshed to bless to others. Kindness and truth written on the tablet of my heart (and tongue) in those emotion-charged moments. Listen to wisdom and receive length of days, years of life, peace, favor, and good repute.

vv. 1-4:
My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments;
For length of days and years of life,
And peace they will add to you.
Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favor and good repute
In the sight of God and man.

No comments: