Labels

Thursday, October 7, 2010

exultation

The other day the three of us were crossing the street and out of the blue Norah shouts: "LOOKIT!"

We follow her eyes to the sky. Rising above the fiery fall foliage is a hot air balloon, close enough to hear the occasional whiish of the burner. Yet I marvel more at my daughter's reaction than the floating wonder that mesmerized her. Hahaha!

She is constantly asking what everything is. Lately the sounds of trains, fire engine sirens, helicoptors, motorcycles, airplanes, and street sweepers have fascinated her. "Whatsat?" she asks, over and over. Often she says "I hear it," or "I see it," when she wants us to respond by telling her the name of a newly discovered thing.

She is so in love with life! I know this because I witness it every day. She declares her love ("I love it!") to all manner of inanimate objects and showers them with hugs and kisses.

In some ways I share her vibrant joie de vivre. But ah how quickly that passion is crowded out by other cares. I thank God that one observant little girl stops in her tracks to gaze upward for a few awestruck moments.

1 comment:

Dawn Merz said...

How lovely!! I love that we get to share in the wonder, love and joy that our daughters are experiencing. Long may it continue!!