Labels

Sunday, October 31, 2010

reformation halloween

"All who call on God in true faith, earnestly from the heart, will certainly be heard, and will receive what they have asked and desired, although not in the hour or in the measure, or the very thing which they ask. Yet they will obtain something greater and more glorious than they had dared to ask."

- Martin Luther

I could complain when Brett has to work on a Saturday, but that would be ludicrous when I have so much to be thankful for. Like the fact that I have a husband who works hard with nary a grumble for his family and God.

So while Brett put in hours and the sun shone, Norah and I walked to the thrift store to buy some clothes for the fast-growing Ryott. How fun is it to have a nephew?! For only ten bucks I got at least five adorable like-new outfits. Blue for his eyes, orange and green and brown for his outdoorsy dad, stripes for his style-savvy mama, warm and hardy fleece, thermal, and corduroy for a midwest winter, and two reversable beanies for his darling head.

On our walk we were surprised by -but quickly made friends with - a trio of beautiful dogs, two dobermans and a golden retriever whose owner apologetically explained "they are very quiet and friendly, but they think they own the sidewalk" while Norah fended off enthusiastic canine kisses. I'm glad Norah can grow up with a large (understatement) dog like Vic, but it is funny to hear her mimicking bellow "Quiet Bikdur!"

Sunday I was up early before church to bake cupcakes and cornbread, wrap gifts, and put the finishing touches on Norah's costume for a fall family birthday fest in the afternoon. She was a wild tawny lion, or possibly an ewok.

Needless to say, between our recently acquired ship's helm and my cousin's little boy Edmund Petersen, I am incredibly stoked for this year to culminate with my favorite Narnia book of the them all: Voyage of the Dawn Treader coming to theatres in December.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi732235289/


Or if you're in the mood for some local music, here is a hymn by Owl City, playing at his own Owatonna high school today.

http://owlcityblog.com/2010/10/25/my-hope-is-found/

2 comments:

Dawn Merz said...

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is always my first thought when it comes to picking a favourite... but I find it difficult to commit. Cause there is also The Last Battle, and then the one that used to be my least favorite until I realized that I quoted from it more than all the others: The Horse and His Boy... and then always The Lion and the Witch and the Wardrobe... need I go on? You see how wishy-washy I am. But always, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader holds the first place in my first thoughts, and not just because my name is in the title. And yes, Edmund Petersen Merz can take on Edmund Penvensy as a boy/king hero with my blessing.

aboveallshadows said...

I agree, they are all my favorites. We should have a reading of Dawn Treader at Grandma's sometime!