Labels

Monday, October 25, 2010

meet the johnsons

I could not have picked a better family to marry into.

My sister in law snaps a shot of her mom and dad.

We spent the weekend with my in-laws at Sakatah lake. Officially we were celebrating Nana and Tanka's 30th anniversary which was earlier this year, and although it did not end up raining like we were expecting (some of us wistfully...) we had a lovely time enjoying the fall weather, playing games, and partaking in delicious salmon and loads and loads of coffee.

Memorable story #1: Norah quickly took possession of the toy-and-book closet in the motel suite (it was rather like a b&b crossed with a cabin). When I put her to bed the first night, kissed and sung-to and tucked-in, she requested to sleep with her "glasses-phone", and it only took me a second to think through all her newfound friends and alight upon the answer. As you may see from the picture above, this innovative title belongs to what the less literal of us know as ...a ViewMaster.

Memorable story #2:
Andrea asked the unfortunate loaded question: What is the thing you most often wish for? " - and I don't want to know if it's sex," she qualified.
I don't know, maybe I suck at this game, or maybe I just forgot the fact that out of the six of us I am the only one who doesn't work outside the home, but I could not narrow it down without giving myself away (house, babies, snow) so I wrote down the less conspicuous response of "more time."

Turns out everyone was too vague. No points for Andrea. Actually I think she did get one point for Brett's continual wish for used cars. "More money" and "that I didn't have to work" just weren't specific enough. Andrea was particularly miffed that she didn't guess Brian's answer of going fishing, to which his defense was, "you said we couldn't put sex." Ooh, burn. And on your anniversary celebration weekend.

Memorable story #3: It didn't rain at all, it just misted a bit. We could have gone camping like we had originally intended. All in all, I think it worked out perfectly. We got to take family pictures against a gorgeous backdrop, the kiddos were super entertaining, and I only broke one glass and started one fire. (I think I broke a record!) By God's grace I put aside all disappointment and reservation, and gained a greater delight in the 30-year marriage of two of the least selfish people I know.

No comments: